Does anyone have any ideas how our practice can get more referring doctors to start sending patients to us?
The most important things:
1. Get your name known to GPs
2. Get good reputation to spread through word-of-mouth
To achieve #1:
– Get the docs to write letters to GPs, introducing themselves — describe their training, their previous work experiences, and most importantly, that you are accepting new referrals.
– Get the docs to give talks to GPs on topics in gastroenterology (make sure it’s about a condition GPs will see, not some rare)
To achieve #2:
– Fast response to referrals: either book patient or turn away (if the patient does not fall under the docs’ scopes of practice)
– Fast results: get consultation letters typed and signed and sent back to GPs ASAP
– Good results: the letters should be informative yet easy to act on (ie. GPs should be able to see: #1 I do this, #2 I do that, and #3 I try this)
– Obviously, it’ll help if the patients like your docs.