I was hoping there was some doctors or some on here in the medical field that could help answer some of my questions about becoming a doctor? To help you answer some of my questions you should know I want to work at a hospital and in a few years go to private practice.
1. I know when your going through school your probably not going to have very much money and you’ll have to take out lots of loans for school and stuff, but after you’ve been a doctor for a while will you be able to pay everything back and start making a lot of money? Or do people over exaggerate about how much money doctors make?
2. This kinda goes with the first question and that’s how much money do doctors make a year and whats the average cost it is to go to school and stuff? Also how long do you have to go to school and be an intern?
3. Do you have any advice for me when I become a doctor or start going to collage to be one?
4. If your a doctor do you have time for family and friends or do you always have to put your job first? And are you always on call if your not working?
1. Income varies widely. Some physicians are closing practices because the expenses exceed the revenue (it costs a lot to run a medical practice, and insurances are not keeping up with increased costs). Other specialties are doing well at the moment, but that could change. If money is your motivating factor, try law or business.
2. If income is your motivating factor, look elsewhere. You’d be miserable and we don’t want you.
School – 4 yrs college, 4 yrs med school, residency (internship = first year of residency) is 3-7+ yrs. You pay for school, but start earning $ as a resident. Not much, but at least it stops the financial hemorrhage.
3. See #2 above. Be prepared to sacrifice your life for 7 or more years while you train. Learn proper English (college, not collage; you’re, not your) – details matter in medicine, and sloppy English is a sign of lack of attention to detail. People expect us to be perfect – you should expect nothing less of yourself.
4. Call depends on your practice situation. I do not currently take call. I have a practice situation that allows me to have free time. Your mileage may vary.